CalAIM (California Advancing and Innovating Medi-Cal)
The state of California is implementing CalAIM program in a means to help Medi-Cal recipients experience a more equitable and easier access to care, which are working towards the goal of improving healthcare outcomes.
As a whole-person approach to care, this program is designed to improve health outcomes for eligible Medi-Cal members, which addresses both clinical, non-clinical, and housing needs. This program is a person-centered strength-based approach to care that is a service that is a no cost and is a benefit through an eligible individual’s managed care plan.
Service provided in conjunction with or in ln-Lieu-of-Services of enhanced care management.
- Housing Transition Navigation Services: assist with applying for housing and refer to appropriate housing referrals
- Housing Tenancy and Sustaining Services: Assist with maintaining safe and stable tenancy once housing is secured.
- Housing Deposits: one-time financial assistance that can fund and establish basic housing needs
CalAIM’s focus is on improving care for those with the most complex need, which includes:
- People with signification behavioral health needs including severe mental illness, substance use disorder, and/or emotional disturbances
- People experiencing homeless or housing instability
- People that have complex health issues and needed to go the hospital or emergency department several times in the last six months
- Individuals transitioning from incarceration